Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Adventures in Visagetting

One of my goals while in Uganda was to get my visa. There are new procedures to go through and new offices in which to complete these procedures. Seems quite straightforward, aye?

On the way to Kampala (from Entebbe about 30 km away) today it starts to pour. And I mean pour.

I am in a matuta (a van) full of people and more people who are soaking wet getting in. and the van is leaking. and there are great smells ;) but the awesome thing was that everyone in the van was seriously having the time of their lives- everyone was laughing about the rain and it was like a party. it was so funny! Of course I thought we were going to die about 50 times during the trip because the matatu drivers are scary even when the roads are dry - but imagine the roads are wet and it is pouring and the windows are fogging and there is no defrost. cheers!

Thankfully, I get to Kampala in one piece (it's still raining) and it is so so disgusting. Kampala is disgusting dry. But imagine rivers of red brown rivers in the streets filled with trash and everything else imaginable. I am hopping to and from - dodging traffic (going the opposite way as traffic in America mind you) in the rain, asking people where 'shop rite' is- because this is where I am meeting 'Bennet' who is going to help me with my visa (getting connected with him is actually a neat story).

We were supposed to meet at 1030. Well, the rain is of course a factor and makes him late, which was expected. He calls me and tells me he is at the 'shell' near shop rite. 

Ok, well....we agreed to meet me at shop rite - not near it. at the entrance. but that's ok, i'm flexible- remember??! ;)

So I go to the shell station. He is nowhere. Well, actually I have no idea if he is or he isn't because I don't know who he is - and everyone is black. He has the advantage as I am the only white person anywhere. So I am  in the rain, at a gas station, walking around like a lost person while trying to find him (all the while our phones are of course cutting us off every 15 seconds).

SOOooooo after 5 verses of the same song "I can't see you. Yes, I am here. Where are you???" finally I said - OK I can't find you- please meet me at the shop rite. In the front, forget the shell station- go. to. shop rite. please. :)

Finally we find each other!!! Apparently there are 2 shell stations nearby shop rite but they are not in sight of each other. Of course ;) 

Thankfully everything after that was smooth sailing! 

And by sailing I mean that I think I can understand now the appeal of motorcycles. I confess that I am starting to fall in love with them. I tell you what - there is just something about riding on the motorcycle with the wind blowing through your hair (ha!)